This building was built as the 'new' stable block and was designed to replace the old stables across the courtyard which now houses the Welcome Centre and meeting rooms. The architect Thomas Johnson of Leeds supplied the design for this building in 1808 although the stables were not completed until 1825. Johnson also designed the bow-fronted wings of the main house.
There are two stories arranged around three sides of a courtyard. The south front features a recessed portico with Doric columns.The bow windows were installed later by Bridlington Corporation.
The flagged forecourt is now the perfect setting for al fresco refreshments from our Clock Tower Cafe. The famous clock tower with its Italianate overhanging eves was added much later in 1847.
It was designed by the Hull architect Henry Francis Lockwood who also designed the Greek Revival gatehouse for his discerning patron, Yarburgh Greame.
The clock tower is inscribed with the words:
"The Society for the promotion of the Arts awarded to the maker of this clock their large silver medal and £10 for this new detached escapement."
The clock was made for Yarburgh Greame by James Harrison of Hull.
In recognition of the significance of this building the 'new' stables were given listed building status grade II* in 1951.
Throughout early 2014, the Clock Tower Cafe underwent extensive refurbishment. The development utilised some storage space in the stable block to extend the cafe and make it a more usable space. The clock itself underwent refurbishment and had a new black and gold dial fitted. The pendulum is now a working feature visible from inside.