Our furry family includes critters great and small, from guinea pigs and micro pigs, to Taiwanese Sika Deer and Cameroon Sheep. Catch the Capuchin monkeys playing around their home, watch the mischievous pygmy goats or go see the cute Raccoon Dogs in their enclosures. With degus, llamas and more too, you'll fall in love with all our animals. Found a favourite? You can adopt them from just £20 a year!
Our feathered flock is home to some of the most stunning birds in the world, as well as some endangered breeds. One of our most popular residents is our chatty Eclectus Parrot, Eckie. Watch our beautiful Golden Pheasant and a variety of other pheasants as they strut around or listen to the birdsong from our numerous outdoor aviaries. A big favourite at the zoo is the colony of Humboldt Penguins, especially at feeding time where they can be seen swimming for fish in their large pool.
Adopt your favourite animal from just £20 a year!
Adoption packages now come in gold, silver and bronze formats. All three packages include a personalised adoption certificate, an animal fact sheet, a thank you letter, and a sign on the enclosure with the adopter's name on it.
The gold and silver packages also feature quarterly newsletters and a key ring, and those who opt for the gold package will also receive two complimentary tickets to Sewerby Hall and Gardens.
Prices range from £20 for bronze to £35 for silver and £50 for gold.
Meet our Humboldt Penguins up close and personal with an Animal Encounter. During the activity our zookeeper will welcome participants to the zoo and introduce you to the colony of penguins before answering your questions. After, you will help prepare the food and finish off with hand-feeding the penguins. Participants will receive free entry into Sewerby Zoo, a certificate, a voucher for 20% discount on selected refreshments at the Clock Tower Cafe, a fact sheet, a copy of the zoo newsletter, an animal key ring and a Sewerby Hall and Gardens pen.
Booking your encounter:
- Animal Encounters include two participants (from the same booking). One parent/guardian is able to watch.
- Minimum age of participants is 10 years old.
- Partcipants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult, either in the encounter session or as a spectator.
- Sessions take place at 9.30 - 10am daily and must be pre-booked and paid for at the same time.
- Current prices can be found on the prices and passes page.
On the day:
- General admission is included in your encounter.
- Participants must report to the Welcome Centre by 9.20am to discuss health and safety.
- Waterproof clothing and footwear is recommended as sessions take place in all weather and no refunds will be given.
Find our more about our self led visits and workshops
Download our conservation activities
Where do our animals come from?